Friday, April 17, 2015

Response to Touch by Diane Ackerman

Speaking of Touch
I never really realized how often "touch" is used in today's vernacular. It's really interesting how often we use words and phrases that relate to touch. Especially since touch is a sensation that is tangible and words are spoken and are not tangible. It makes me think of comparing a 2d object with a 3d object. It may be the same thing, but the 2d object is only a representation of the 3d object so they are different. 
First Touches
In one of my education classes, we often discuss children's behavior. One thing I learned this semester is that a baby who is not touched and who is neglected when he or she cries will soon shut down. This baby will grow up not being able to connect with other people and will develop severe behavioral problems. 
The Skin has Eyes
This section was particularly  interesting to me due to the fact that art it often gestural. As an art student, we are encouraged  to draw loose and free as a warm up. I find it interesting that they can make up "imposed" objects to understand information. In my ESE class this semester we learned that many people who go blind do not even realize they are going blind until it is too late. This is because the eye and brain coordination is so strong that what the eye lacks the brain will make up for it. So if you are losing sight in an eye and are looking at a tree. The brain will work to fill in the gaps.
The Hand
Of course, touch is associated with the hand. I think the concept of palm readers is kind of silly and seeing into the future is a hoax, but a lot can be said about a person with calyces hands. My dad's hands are calyces. He works outside and his hands are rough. His handshake is firm. I know how hard he works because I have seen it, but even if you had never met him, all you would need to do was look at his hands to see his history.

No comments:

Post a Comment