Saturday, April 11, 2015

Memento


Notes from discussion:


Responses to Susan Stewart: 

1. The body is the primary mode of perceiving  scale.
When I was young I lived in Alaska, and I remember going hiking with my parents. There was this one trail where the left side was up against a mountain and the right side was a cliff. I remember feeling so incredibly small. The mountain was not only much taller than me but as I looked over the edge of the path it went deep into the valley. There was a large sensation of being in a weird middle place.
2. Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience. 
Childhood is very important part of our lives, but as we get older our memories of childhood fade. Looking at old photographs and seeing childhood toys helps to regain those authentic experiences. I think objects act as a trigger to regain memories. 
3. The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the 3 dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body.
Because souvenirs are small they become things we can carry around and take with us. These miniature items are more than just objects. They hold memories, smells and tactile references of a time in the past. These souvenirs are often the only way to relieve or remember a specific time.
4. Nostalgia  can not be sustained without loss.
During the fall of 2013 one of my favorite bands released an album. Close to that same time my boyfriend at the time broke up with me. Now, whenever I listen to that album all I think about is him.
5. To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both specimen and a trophy. 


As a big animals rights activist I think this statement is a very powerful one. People shoot animals and then hang the animal head on the wall. As if the animal were some trophy. But in all reality they have an animal carcass on their wall.

My Memento




Final:



Artist Statement: 
This memento is meant to be a representation of a memory. I was born with a birthmark on my right shoulder. It was a horrible dark brown circle with bumps. People would always stare and rudely ask, "what is that?" When I turned 16, I had the opportunity to remove it and I jumped at the chance. Although I was warned about scaring, I did not care. All I could think about was how pretty my shoulder would be without the disformity. After the surgery, I was left with a thin pink line. But as time went on the scar stretched and evolved into a large silvery purple raised scar. One that attracts more attention than the birthmark ever did. The purpose of this piece is to represent that feeling of never being perfect. I will always have the scar.
 I created my memento by sanding down the edges of a block of wood. By doing this, I created a multisided object. This resembles the many facets of emotions I have for this memory. I dyed the wood a dark brown to convey the color of my birthmark. I also covered the piece in a clear gloss to represent how the scar covers my skin. The piece is small enough to hold which is important to the overall piece. I am satisfied with how this memento turned out. I think it serves as a good example of my memory.






No comments:

Post a Comment