Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Architecture Relief


The time periods I used for this piece are Medieval and Romanesque. I was inspired by Trinity Church, Orveito Cathedral and St. George in the East for the Romanesque period. For the Medieval period, I was inspired by Osterlars Church, The Alcarzar, and Lavenham Houses.

Romanesque
Trinity Church- Henrey Hobson Richardson. Found here

Orvieto Cathedral. Found here

St George in the East. Found here

Medieval
Osterlars Church. Found here

The Alcazar. Found here


Lavenham Houses. Found here

My Project:







Final





The architecture relief was constructed to hang on the wall and to be approximately 24 inches long. Each side of the relief has a large pillar to unify the overall structure. The accents of balsa wood complement the middle section of this piece. The windows are covered in tracing paper and have string strung across each one. The highlights of balsa wood give the piece a sense of unity and the black accents give the relief some variety. The time periods I chose to represent throughout this piece gave me a lot of inspiration. The pillars on either side of the piece represent the historical time period of Romanesque architecture. The windows and upper portion of the piece show medieval architecture in that, the accents hold true to Lavenham houses. Another inspiration used in this piece is a large wall clock. When I began to create the architecture relief I wanted something that was timeless. Both grandfather clocks and cuckoo clocks share this type of theme. By mimicking the clock shape, I was able to effectively use both time periods and complete the projects successfully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment